That is so incredibly awesome to hear! I wonder if there is any behind the scenes pieces being shot as they film?
We asked @RussBowenNews13 and yes, there is behind the scene footage being shot!
It was a love-fest when Liam Hemsworth (The Last Song) and Josh Hutcherson (The Kids Are All Right) learned they'd landed the roles of Gale and Peeta, respectively. The guys first met after Hutcherson worked with Hemsworth's big brother, Chris, on an upcoming remake of Red Dawn. Says Hutcherson, ''I sent him a text: 'Dude, we have The Hunger Games! I'm so stoked, man, this is awesome!'''
Before arriving on set, Hutcherson hit the gym for an intense round of training to better embody a boy who's spent his childhood heaving sacks of flour. He put on about 15 pounds of muscle in three weeks.
Director Gary Ross on Hemsworth, here with Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss: ''On first glance he's such a hunk that it's easy to ascribe a hunklike simplicity to him. But this is a phenomenally subtle actor, totally in control of what he was doing.''
- Three of the stunning Hunger Games film posters courtesy of the SDCC Lionsgate booth.
- Two of the sought-after Mockingjay Pins (recently dubbed Comic-Con's most essential piece of swag by Entertainment Weekly) courtesy of the SDCC Lionsgate booth.
- One copy of The Girl Who Was on Fire: Your Favorite Authors on Suzanne Collins' Hunger Games Trilogy signed by Editor Leah Wilson and Contributor Ned Vizzini. The FBC staff had the pleasure of meeting Wilson and Vizzini at the Smart Pop Books table at SDCC, and they were gracious enough to donate this signed copy of their book for this giveaway. (They also gave a free signed copy of the book to everyone who attended the signing! Along with being talented writers, they are just down right nice people!)
the contest will officially close on Tuesday, August 2, 2011, at 5pm/PSTSource
Two months ago, Entertainment Weekly revealed the first images of Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss Everdeen, the teenage hero of The Hunger Games, based on Suzanne Collins’ blistering dystopian trilogy about children forced to fight to the death on national TV (and due out next March). In this week’s cover story, we introduce you to the devoted young men who fight for her.
We sat down wth Josh Hutcherson, the 18-year-old actor whom director Gary Ross fought hard to cast as the deeply decent Peeta Mellark, at a cozy diner in Asheville, N.C., where The Hunger Games shoot was mid-way through filming. His hair was dyed blonde; his newly pumped-up biceps could believably belong to that of a baker’s son. And while Hutcherson (The Kids Are All Right) understands fans’ hand-wringing online, he’s here to assure you that Lawrence will not in fact tower over him on screen. “Jennifer’s not two feet taller than me!” he says with his easy laugh. “If anything, maybe she’s a half inch taller.” And Ross assures devotees of the books that 21-year-old Liam Hemsworth, who’ll play Katniss’ righteous childhood confidante Gale, is more than just some Australian beefcake who starred in Miley Cyrus’ last movie. “On first glance he’s such a hunk that it’s easy to just sort of ascribe a hunk-like simplicity to him,” says the director. “But this is a phenomenally subtle actor.”
Although Peeta and Gale circle each other warily throughout the series, it turns out that Hutcherson and Hemsworth bonded hard during their six weeks together on set. So much so that Hutcherson brought Hemsworth along on a weekend visit to his hometown in Kentucky to relax with his family and sample his grandmother’s famous fried chicken. “I think it’s going to blow people’s minds when they see that Peeta and Gale are actually best friends in real life,” says Hutcherson.
For more on The Hunger Games, pick up the new issue of Entertainment Weekly, on stands July 29.
Also, check out their post HERE to also enter the giveaway through their website.
- You must follow @HungerGamesDWTC on Twitter.
- Tweet the following Entry Phrase: “Follow @HungerGamesDWTC for your chance to win a Hunger Games Comic Con Fan Pack #DWTCswag
- You only have to tweet the phrase once and it will enter you into the contest
- Please make sure you tweet the entry phrase as a NEW TWEET and exactly how it is appears above.
- Contest is open to ALL US and International readers.
- Contest Closes 8/3/11 at 11:59 pm ET, Winner will be announced on 8/4/11
- 1 Winner will be chosen at random and will receive one Mockingjay pin and one poster from Comic Con and a copy of Entertainment Weekly Edition with Jennifer Lawrence as Katniss on the cover.
Most Essential Single Piece of Swag: The Mockingjay pin
Handed out by Lionsgate in honor of next year’s film adaptation of The Hunger Games, and utterly inescapable by Saturday.
“A Battle of ‘Royale’ Proportions”
Episode 17 of the Hunger Games Fireside Chat podcast airs live tonight (Monday), July 25, at 10pm ET/7pm PT! This week, our panel of experts includes some of our fabulous friends from Down with the Capitol and The Hob. We will also be joined by Crystal of Mockingjay.net and FictionalFood.net, Natalie of Crushable, Kim and Todd of Reflections of a Book Addict, noted photographer Rebekah, and Ariel of Madam Pince and the Librarians and Nerdy, Wordy, and Almost Thirty.Don't forget to tweet along with @FYeahD12 and everyone else by following the hashtag on twitter: #HGFiresideChat
And…at some point during the show…three lucky listeners will have a chance to win official Hunger Games mini-posters! (Please note that these are the collectible mini-posters given away at U.S. cinemas over the past weekend; they are not the large posters from Comic-Con.) You will need to follow us on Twitter or “like” us on Facebook to find out exactly how to win. Both U.S. and international residents are eligible. May the odds be ever in your favor!
- We’ll kick off the show with the latest Hunger Games-related news, including: post-Comic-Con reports from Arianna (Down with the Capitol) and Amanda (The Hob), info about the Unauthorized Guide to the Series by Lois Gresh, filming updates, and more
- At around 10:20 or so, we’ll chat with Megan from The Hob about their partnership with WhyHunger and what YOU can do to help
- We’ll also talk to Shylah from Down with the Capitol about her Hunger is NOT a Game initiative (if you haven’t yet heard about the severe drought in East Africa and the UN’s recent declaration of famine in Somalia, please read more about this tragic, real-life battle)
- At about 10:35, we’ll broach a topic that has long been a source of annoyance for most Hunger Games fans: those who claim that Suzanne Collins’ trilogy is a “rip-off” of the Japanese novel and film Battle Royale (we think these claims are ridiculous and will explain why)
- At 10:45, we’ll bring you another round of Crackpot Theories: Did rebels plan for Prim’s name to be drawn so that Katniss would volunteer? Were Cato and Clove in a relationship?
The contest will run until Tuesday, July 26th at 11:59pm ET. Winners will be announced on Wednesday. We will use Row Feeder to randomly select the two winners.
- You must be following them on Twitter
- For those in the United States, tweet the phrase: "Want to win Hunger Games SDCC Swag? Follow @TheHobOrg #USFans"
- For those of you who are International, tweet the phrase: "Want to win Hunger Games SDCC Swag? Follow @TheHobOrg #IntlFans"
- One tweet will enter you for the entire contest, so no need to tweet multiple times
- Each winner will win both prizes
AMC: 100 AMC theaters across the country, will be giving away 100 mini posters in each theater. Be sure to call to verify yours will have the posters.
Celebration Cinema: visit the theatre box office starting Friday and mention keyword “Mockingjay” to get your free limited edition official mini movie poster!
Cinemark Theaters all CinemarkXD theaters
Muvico Theaters tell the box office attendee the phrase “May the odds be ever in your favor” and receive 1 mini-poster
Malco Theaters The first 100 fans at each Malco Theatres, Inc. location will receive a limited-edition mini-poster! (This offer is valid at all participating locations. Customer must request the poster and there is a limit of one (1) poster per paying customer per day, while supplies last.
Rave Motion Pictures: First 500 hundred people at any Rave Location
Remember each giveaway will be “While Supplies Last”, so try to get there early on Friday if you can. Also, check in on your movie chains Facebook page or give them a call to verify if they are participating.
Episode 16 of the Hunger Games Fireside Chat podcast airs live this Tuesday, July 19, at 10pm ET/7pm PT! This week, our panel of experts will include some of our fabulous friends from Down with the Capitol and The Hob. We will also be joined by Sam Cushion of I Am the Mockingjay and District Tribute, Crystal Watanabe of Mockingjay.net and FictionalFood.net, Natalie Zutter of Crushable, Kait of Victor’s Village, and Ariel Birdoff, children’s publishing expert, lead singer of Madam Pince and the Librarians, and blogger extraordinaire.
We’re still riding the Deathly Hallows 2 wave, so please excuse the traces of magic still lingering in Tuesday night’s program!
Listen to last week’s full podcast here.
- As always, we’ll start out by bringing you the latest Hunger Games-related news (including some exciting info about the San Diego Comic Con)
- We’ll briefly talk with the folks at Montgomery High School about their goal to have all incoming 9th graders read The Hunger Games at the same time (they’re currently accepting donations to help pay for the 600 copies!)
- Industry expert Kit Bowen of TheMovieKit.com will join us as we take a look at the opening weekend box office stats for Deathly Hallows 2 and discuss what the success AND end of the Harry Potter franchise mean for The Hunger Games
- We’ll revisit our Battle of the Epilogues since it was cut short last time
- To cap off the show, we’ll laugh our way through another round of Cave, Marry, Kill
Check out the best podcast highlights at our YouTube channel.
Remember, you can chat with other listeners throughout the live show by using our hashtag #HGFiresideChat on Twitter! You can also email us questions at HGFiresideChat@gmail.com or IM us on AIM at HGFiresideChat!
Follow this week’s participants on Twitter:
Adam Spunberg (Host): @AdamSpunberg
Savanna New (Co-Host/Producer): @MlleNouveau
Down with the Capitol: @HungerGamesDWTC
The Hob: @TheHobOrg
Sam Cushion: @sam_cushion/@panemrebels
Crystal Watanabe: @pikko/@mockingjaynet/@FictionalFood
Natalie Zutter: @nataliezutter/@crushabledotcom
Ariel Birdoff: @Madam_Pince
Kit Bowen: @themoviekit
Montgomery High School: @MHSHungerGames